Thursday, September 27, 2007

Ignorance is bliss...?

Todays post is a celebratory one! Whats there to possibly celebrate on September 27th?! Well, let me tell you! The close of business today means that there is only ONE day left in the 3rd quarter!!

Why is that a good thing? In case youve all been asleep, or just dont really listen to me when I talk (gripe) about work, this quarter has been very, very stressful!! I think the end of it is worth celebrating. And, consequently, next quarter will be very good, thanks to my continued efforts in reminding the Powers that Be in "The Office" that I am NOT a complete moron.

Now, Ill spare you the particulars on what I mean by that last statement, but suffice it to say, during this quarter there have been things that seem to keep happening to ME, that havent been happening to anyone else. And, when Ive drawn attention to these mistakes management has been making, the explanation is invariably unbelievable... As in Id have to be a flipping moron to believe the explanation given, which of course consisted of ridiculous and continual RANDOM mistakes on my part. But, even more unbelievable to me is that fact that not only did I continue to make the same random mistake 4 times, management failed to detect said mistake each and every time. Say it with me now! "Riiiiight....." (imitating Dr. Evil)

But whatever.... ITS OVER!! (cue Thats the Way (I Like it), by KC and the Sunshine Band)

Uh-huh, Uh-huh...

But, as I sit and celebrate, I cant help but ponder why it is that things always seem to be this way? Why in the name of God and all that is holy did they actually think that I would believe it? I mean, one random mistake, ok... But 4? Pssshh!! I dont make mistakes, I only date them!

However, I guess if I sit and think about it, the answer should be obvious as to why The Office would think they could get away with such ludicrousity.... Simply put: People are stupid.

I hate to be cynical, but lets be honest, there is a large percentage of the population in general who are as dumb as a box of rocks. And, being that they dont actually think for themselves, an overwhelming percentage of the population will blindly follow authority without question. Please, you all know its true. Theyve even done studies proving the fact. Hello, anyone remember the Milgram Experiment?! (If not, do yourself a favor and google it.)

Now, before anyone gets all up in arms over my bold assertion here, lets remember that the above is of course a generalization. But, to argue my point, I think we must take into consideration the fact that generalizations themselves, are such, because generally they are true!

So, it stands to reason that The Office, and other employers would have the gall to pull such a stunt, because they know that most people either will not catch such mistakes, or most of those who do will not then have the balls to question authority over said mistakes. Basically, they operate on the assumption that people are stupid, and for the most part, it works.

And, why wouldnt it?

We live in a society where mediocrity abounds- just look around you! Or, just ask Miss Teen South Carolina. She will tell you its because we need more maps to help show "Americans in the US" that the Middle East is that part of the country in between the East and West coasts, just across the way from South Africa and the Asian countries. Besides, is it really even necessary to be able to spell anything other than your last name (which conveniently doubles for the place you are staying) when people pay you to party and act dumb?

The answer is a resounding not really!

You look good, and thats all that matters. That Global Warming thing really is a bummer, but its doing wonders for your tan, so it cant really be that bad, can it? Of course not!! And, as long as the Powers that Be can distract you from the fact that they are really pulling the strings as you blindly or more appropriately blondly dance around, everyone is happy!

The rich will just keep getting richer, and the middle class and poor will just keep getting poorer, because while the Powers that Be who run things are concerned with the big stuff like oil, interest rates, and congressional appointment and legislation, the middle class idiot is all too happy to finance their way into oblivion as they chase down the dream of getting hooked up with a blinged out grill and Juicy Couture sweats. After all, isnt that what America is all about?

Who has time to really worry about tomorrow, when they have a nice whip on 23" chromed rims today for only $739 a month? Not Big Daddy I tell you, hes living the dream!!

Ahhh, ignorance is bliss...

No comments: