Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Purple Couch

So, I know what you all are thinking.... what kind of a metaphor is the purple couch?? Well, Ill tell you!

The meaning behind the purple couch, is really an intriguing one. As you may know, purple is considered by many cultures to be a color representing sacred things such as Deity, love, and power. That is why often religious ceremonies and garments of royalty in all different types of cultures and societies, are often made out of the regal color purple. The idea behind couch however should be obvious... a safe, comforting place to sit and share, and.... bullshit.

No, really, the purple couch, is just that: an actual, purple couch. Heres the real story...

I have always wanted a purple couch. Now, this is one of those random little things that you think about as your stuck in traffic, or daydreaming during that REALLY boring meeting at work that youre supposed to be paying attention to... One of those things you kinda think about, and put on your tentative list of things to eventually do. I mean, how dope would it be to have a big, comfy, PURPLE couch?! Pretty dope in my opinion.

So, Im zipping through life, and the purple couch only comes into my mind every now and then. Why should I think more about it? I hadnt ever seen the kind of purple couch that I had envisioned, so maybe it didnt even exist. Then, in the beginning of 2003, I finally met someone who actually has a purple couch! Of course, I didnt know that when we first met, but I can say in all honesty that we both knew that we liked each other right away. Its weird how you can just tell sometimes that youre going to get along with certain people, isnt it?

Anyhow, Daisy and I became fast friends. We are very much alike, and the traits we have that do differ, really complement and help bring out the best in the other. Were pretty much just like peas and carrots (imitating Forrest Gump). So one day the purple couch entered my mind while Daisy and I were at lunch. When I told her about my passing whimsy of one day owning a purple couch, she laughed out loud. Whats so funny you ask? Turns out she owns a purple couch!! This of course, excited me very much! This was proof positive we were indeed meant to be friends forever.

Since discovering that the perfect purple couch does indeed exist in the Spring of 2003, my life has definitely changed! The purple couch is not only the place to which many, many important things have been discussed, it is also where many tears have been shed, and where an indeterminable number of hours of laughter (and glasses of alcohol) and good times have been had. The purple couch has also seen, shall we say, "spicy" adventure, as well as lots of musing and other misadventures...

For everyone's favorite FRIENDS (yes, as in the TV show) the place life happened and was relived was the coffee shop, for Daisy Swain and I it has been the purple couch...

So get comfortable and enjoy the sometimes crazy and unbelievable, yet TRUE, Tales from the Purple Couch...

2 comments:

jescas said...

LOVE the blog! Consider me a fan. And thank you so much for the link! :]

I feel so special.

<3

Captain Obvious said...

Yay! Glad you like. I HAD to link people to yours- sarcasm and hotness, cant have enough of it!