Friday, October 26, 2007

Taking the Long Way...


So, I did something I havent done in a very long time tonight...

I sat and watched TV!

And not like I used to watch TV, where it was on in the background, and I was doing the dishes, or working on stuff for work, or compiling pictures of the baby to send to everyone.... I just sat and watched TV. Actually, cable, but thats besides the point.

Tonight I watched the movie The Holiday with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz, and I have to admit that I saw myself in the main characters. Actually, what was going through my mind as I watched, was the thought that no matter where you go, your problems go with you. Even if you go to a totally different place, such as another country, the people there are still all having the same kinds of problems. Its a pretty good movie, and Kate Winslet had some great little monologues. My favorite being the one where she jubilantly exclaimed:

"I have a life to live, and *you're* not going to be in it!!"

Obviously, this was said to the sleazy male bastard character in her story, at her moment of clarity....

And, I gotta say, this really resonated with me, particularly because it felt like my goodbye to The Candy Man. Haha, look at that, he did get another nod. And, as you might be asking yourself, which goodbye is she talking about, my answer is a resounding, BOTH.

What a douchebag. Heres a recent picture of him, so we can all mock him together and have a nice laugh. Join me, wont you?!

Note: Please feel free to submit this photo to the Douchebag O' the Day blog,
or any other competition where pathetic guys like this are mocked.

This is his profile picture off his myspace page! No, I am 100% SERIOUS!!

I couldnt have doctored a photo myself, that made him look like more ridiculous and self absorbed, even if I tried!! This picture actually even smells. Cant you smell it? The EGO....the arrogance....the half-gallon jug of self-tanner. Oh yeah! Zac Effron, eat your heart out!!

But I digress...

Anyhow, the original thought I was kicking around in my head was about this entire premise. The idea that you can run from things all you want, but eventually, you just have to come to a place where you realize your problems before you can move on and be free from them. Some do it quickly, others, as the title of this post suggests, prefer to take the long way. In the end however, the destination is the same.

So, I sat down to try to write this idea out in a blog, but first read my cousin Jess' blog. After reading it, I know I cant do the subject justice like she did. Youll just have to
click here to go read it for yourself.

The post is called "Serious Face", and well, its downright brilliant. Short, sweet, honest. One of the best pieces of writing Ive read in.... I dont know how long. Sometimes its best to just get to the heart of the matter, without the frill and fluff to dress things up and seem like more than they really are. Obviously, we all know that is not something I am very good at, since no matter how hard I try, I seem to always take the long way, both literally and literaturely(?).... well, you know what I mean.

So do yourself a favor, and take the short way home tonight. Check out Jess' post (Serious Face). I couldnt possibly say it better (or as well for that matter) myself.

2 comments:

jescas said...

umm i love this post.

if i had a tasty beverage in my mouth when i read the line "can you smell it...half gallon of self tanner" it would have come out of my nose.

down.right.brilliant.

i heartchu :]

Anonymous said...

Wow! I want that dude's head band and glasses. And bronzing cream!!