Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Thai Food For Thought

Thank God it was Tuesday today!! Ya know?

Why was I glad it was Tuesday today? Well, because Mark takes Luca on Tuesday nights, and I am free to do whatever I damn well please. Which, usually means I do laundry and clean my room, but whatever- you get the point. And, after an especially frustrating day at THE OFFICE, I needed the break. Dont get me wrong, I love my child more than any other person on the face of the earth and I love spending time with him, but sometimes it is just downright therapeutic to spend time alone just vegging out.

What did I do with my mini vacation from responsibility? I did my laundry.

Hahaha! Just kidding!!

I ventured out into the world and sought sanctuary in a place where I could gather my thoughts and regain my strength- Nordstroms. After spending an hour or two, browsing through all the beautiful shoes, handbags, and aisles and aisles of make-up, I decided to go home. Getting in the car, I realized how hungry I was, and decided to stop at Pei Wei and grab some food.

With nothing sparkly or designer to distract me, my thoughts again turned to the days frustrations, and as I sped down the freeway I got more and more angry. I seriously dont understand why THE OFFICE operates the way it does. I mean why is it that there are standards and protocols in place, if they are going to go ahead and pick and choose who and when to follow them?! Rules mean nothing if theyre not enforced for everyone. This is just a point that really infuriates me. But then again, what can I do? Quit? And to what avail?? Wont it just be the same situation, just a different product I am selling? Same shit, different boss?

As I rolled up on Pei Wei, my anger subsided for a moment as I perused the menu. So many yummy dishes!! Finally I settled on the crab won-tons and chicken pad Thai noodles. Once my order was placed, my inner tirade continued, and I fumed at the thought that I was working so hard, but never seemed to get recognized for it. I had to fight for every single little bit of nothing I managed to carve out for myself, and now I find myself having to fight THE OFFICE to let me keep those little scraps I have worked for, for myself.

Infuriating! Thats simply the only word to describe it.

I mean seriously, I am beginning to know how that 6 year old Thai kid feels as he sweats his ass off in Martha Stewart's sweatshop to make her crappy Kmart towels. He's killing himself for a dollar, literally, and Martha is making millions and millions of dollars, ironically, off of the American poor people who cant afford to buy nice towels and must settle for the Everyday collection by Martha from KMart. Think about that! Not only is she exploiting the poor Thai children, shes profiting off America's poor by selling them her shitty goods. Corporate America really pisses me off sometimes. I am that friggin Thai child!

"ORDER READY FOR BETH!!", a man shouted.

Hearing my order ready snapped me back to reality in an instant.

"Beth- your PAD THAI to go is ready!", he continued.

Pad Thai to go, how ironic. Suddenly, I wasnt all that hungry anymore...

No comments: