Thursday, April 16, 2009

Its the End of the World as we Know it!

So, by now I think that we can all agree my life seems to be this total comedy of errors, that never fails to entertain all who hear about it. And, while most of it is miserable, and by all accounts worse than the typical piss in your morning cheerios, I am always able to remain positive. Sure, I may bitch and moan for a little while, but in the past Ive been able to shake it off because I cant help but believe that God has great plans in store for my life.


Suffice it to say its been a rocky last few years for me, but lately, it has seemed that there is finally, and legitimately, light at the end of my tunnel, and I cant tell you how liberating it has been!! But, as you may know, unfortunately, as so often seems to be true to form these last few years, things have once again come crashing down on me. The manhole has been shut, my tunnel is as black, dank, and long as ever, and sadly this time, its been a much more difficult pill to swallow.


Now, if you dont really know the particulars, Ill spare you because there is enough depressing stuff going on in the world without adding to it. Gas is going up once again, and as youve seen in "The Fug Files" the proliferation of terrible 80's workout wear is on the rise- the end is near!! But, mostly and in particular, I just dont want to go into it. Im tired of complaining, and dont feel like expending the energy to do so. And, as Ive been moping about this last little while, mourning the loss of my way out of the pit that has been my life the last few years, I have contemplated my situation, and came to a conclusion....


ITS THE END OF THE WORLD AS I KNOW IT!


Not really.....but seriously, how many times in your life has something truly dramatic happened, and as you sat devastated, surveying all the broken pieces of your life/heart/identity, have you thought to yourself, "This is it! My life is over!!"....?


If youre honest with yourself, youve had this experience at least once or twice, and at least half a dozen times if youre of the female persuasion, mostly during those unfortunate junior high and high school years...


As you sit and ponder how your life will ever be the same again after such a cataclysmic event, you probably begin to wonder if you arent just perhaps being a little bit dramatic because youre a little emo at the moment. Well, Id like to point out that you are not being overly dramatic, but rather that you are indeed right- things wont ever be the same! Not to be Captain Obvious or anything, but in all reality after the death of a loved one, the loss of a relationship, or whatever your crisis may be, how can things ever really be the same?


The simple answer is they cant, something happened, and now your life has been forever changed. Now, you can either take this as a negative or a positive- its all a matter of perspective. And, how you perceive your crisis greatly depends on which of the 3 types of people who exist in this world....


The Pessimist will sit and cry about the injustice of it all, and bemoan the loss of all they had just yesterday. The Optimist will sit in wonder at all that they have had the privilege of having, and dream about all that is possible. Personally, I think of myself as the third type of person that exists: the Realist.


The Realist sits for a while, and bitches and moans about the situation, but then does something the other two dont- the Realist moves into action with the realization that the road ahead is still there, and the race isnt over. The Realist doesnt sit and dream about all of the new opportunities, they get up and get going again. The Realist grasps the concept that while the things they had were great, the things most worthwhile in life are those which they didnt even know they wanted, until they unknowingly stumbled into them.


As my recent journey into pessimism ends, I am back to being a Realist, and as is true to form, I am hopeful, because....


Its the end of the world, as we know it....and I feel FINE.

DISCLAIMER:

If you have a weak stomach, or have recently had surgery on your eyes, please dont not read any further down the post. You have been warned!




After all, it could always be worse! I could be delusional enough to think that the above look is hot, instead of a perfect opportunity to make Jane Fonda jokes. Thats right lady, Jane Fonda and 1984 called, and they want the thong and leg warmers back!!

No comments: