Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Good Manners

So today in the OC, it was uncharacteristically warm for this time of year. I am sure some of you had it worse, like all my peeps in the 951, or East County San Diego, but 90 is plenty hot for me(well, ok, its not fun when you dont have the luxury of air conditioning). And, to that point, I seriously dont understand why anyone would want to live anywhere other than Southern California, given that the weather is always more extreme (hot or cold, and/or humid) than it is here.

But, I digress....

Today was spent trying not to die, which is precisely what the power did several times, taking our air conditioning with it. This little tragedy forced us to venture out into the world, to seek refuge from the scorching SoCal heat. Naturally, we found repreive at the local movie theater.

Once our movie was over, we decided to go back home and see if we could salvage our plans to have a nice relaxing evening at home doing nothing, but alas, it was not so. Upon returning to the house, we found the power was working, but since the air conditioning isnt central air, and had been off for more than 5 hours, the house was still hotter than the 7th circle of Hell, so we all decided it would be best to go out to dinner.

Thankfully, we made it to a local watering hole, and were able to be seated almost immediately. We also had the luxury of being seated in an area where there were not a lot of other people. This is always helpful when you have a 2 year old in your party, and is very, VERY helpful when said 2 year old is hot, tired, and hungry.

So, as we sat and enjoyed the nice refreshing air conditioned atmosphere, we were finally able to relax a little bit, which was really nice. Luca, who really had been a trooper all day, was running around the room, playing, and making everyone laugh as usual.

When dinner arrived and we all began to eat, I had to pay special attention to Luca to make sure he didnt fall out of his chair. As most of you probably know, Luca is very independent, and hates anything that makes him different from all the adults around him. This includes, but is not limited to: sippy cups, childrens cutlery, and in particular, high chairs and booster seats. The child simply HATES these things, and insists on eating with adult sized utensils, and sitting in an adult sized chair. And, to his credit, he does pretty darn well all by himself.

As we ate, Luca exercised his usual good manners. He used his fork to eat, and frequently wiped the corners of his mouth with his napkin. Inwardly, I observed quietly, and couldnt help but feel pleased with myself that my child was so well mannered. No sooner had this thought crossed my mind, than my child started acting up. They just seem to know, dont they?!

Luca, deciding he had had enough, began to get real rowdy. At first it was just a little bit of over-excitement and loud laughing, but then he started shrieking. When I asked him to calm down, and not bother the other people in the restarant, he responded with a loud growling grunt, as if to say "I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request Mommy!", and I ignored it. The next time I asked him to calm down, he screamed "NO!". (Sigh) I was clearly not pleased, but simply told my little monster, "Yes!" With a scowl on his face, Luca sat down, but refused to look at me. This after all, was what I get for crossing him.

Happy that my child decided to behave himself, I continued with my meal. But, as you can imagine, the peace did not last long. Something (I couldnt even tell you what) made Luca start laughing anew, and he started shrieking again. So, again, I asked him to please sit down and behave himself. As you can imagine, he didnt like my suggestion, and so continued to yell, but this time also decided to stand on his chair while letting little pieces of food fall out of his mouth onto the table and floor. Laughing jubilantly, it was apparent that Luca thought this was hysterical, I however, did not.

Once again I sternly warned my child to sit down in his chair and behave himself, and this time he did..... just kidding! What a boring story would this be if he just sat down and went back to dabbing the corners of his mouth with his napkin?! This isnt the Brady bunch! The truth is, Luca did not decide to behave, and he did not sit down.... instead he again yelled "NO!"

Pulling Luca down so that he was looking me in the eye, I sternly told him:

"You need to sit down and stop acting like a naughty little boy! You know better than to behave like this, Daddy would be very unhappy with you for acting this way!!"

I kid you not, you can ask anyone who was there, but the snotty little retort I got blew me away. Without skipping a beat, Luca looked back sternly at me, and replied with a defiant gleam in his eye...

"Daddy's not here!"

Then he smirked, and let more food fall out of his mouth. While part of me wanted to smack the smirk right off his chubby little face, I couldnt help but laugh.

Ahhhh sarcasm! He is my child after all!

No comments: